Tufte

Subject: Tufte
From: wongword -at- OZEMAIL -dot- COM -dot- AU
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 20:31:57 +1100

I love Tufte's books.

He has produced three books in all. He has a home page so you can look
for your self. He publishes his own books.

The book you mention was recently written up in that wonderful ezine
Salon which I browse each week.

His books are (at least they were a few years ago, I'm not sure about
now) by the Australian and Canadian central govt statistical offices.

His first two books which I have seen make beautiful "coffee table"
books. I don't mean to be insulting. On the contrary they are quality
products with good paper, lovely colouring etc.

Actually I compile and produce the monthly newsletter for the Australian
Society for Technical Communications (New South Wales). I inserted the
following article in this month's newsletter:

More from Tufte
?voraciously eclectic?
Salon magazine recently reviewed Edward Tufte?s latest book, "Visual
Explanations: Images and Quantities, Evidence and Narrative".
His other books were described in this newsletter a couple of years ago.
Tufte is a designer, statistician and Yale professor who is passionate
about statistical information and graphs.
In all of his books he explains how to edit graphs: to delete
distractions and remove unnecessary grids, labels and other clutter.
Salon describes Tufte?s latest book as ?voraciously eclectic? because of
the wide range of examples he includes.
Tufte?s first two books were beautifully designed books. He publishes
them himself. Locate his home page on the Internet for information on
how to get a copy of any of his books.
Salon concludes that:
Tufte?s work becomes a friendly compass in an informational wilderness ?
and, when
necessary, a machete to chop through thickets of disinformation.
Irene Wong