Re: User Guides in PDF Format on the Web

Subject: Re: User Guides in PDF Format on the Web
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 09:35:01 -0500

This might be one of those places where the fact that a company does not
have an opinion in the same sense that a person does comes into play.
I took a look at it, and it does look like it's intended to be printed: the
TOC has page numbers instead of links. The lawyer has one opinion, and
somebody else has another. Actually, it looks like a technical violation of
the copyright has occurred well before printing: if I downloaded it, it was
transmitted. I would consider the web page to be permission to download,
but I'm not sure about printing.

What I think happened here is shovelware: the manual, intended as a
published paper document to be distributed as hard copy, was tossed on the
FTP site without any modifications. No weird conflict of intentions, just
one of the problems that occur when documents are re-used.

Mike Huber, not speaking for anybody else
Mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
Grammar and spelling are tools to be used in moderation.