Frame quit while working

Subject: Frame quit while working
From: Dan BRINEGAR <vr2link -at- VR2LINK -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 22:44:52 -0700

Hi, Rum!

A Type 1 error in the MacOS happens when the application that quits runs
out of memory: that is; it needs to use some more system memory and can't
find any... This is not a problem with your disk, or your system software,
merely a couple of memory-intensive programs arguing with each other.

If you're using RamDoubler 2, the documentation that came with it has an
excellent explaination and illustrations of what happens and what to do
about it... if you're using an earlier RamDoubler, I would suggest you
upgrade.

I Imagine what's happening is that Freehand or Photoshop are probably
doing bigger graphics than before, or taking up more "scratch space" than
before (scratch space is space on your hard drive that Photoshop and other
similar programs use to store bits and pieces of what they're working on,
and swap that back and forth between RAM and HD space -- Frame and original
Adobe products like Photoshop don't like to free up the RAM or HD space
they're not using, and when they argue, the oldest one usually loses
<smile>).

The first and easiest temporary fix is to allocate more memory to
FrameMaker in the "Get Info" window.... If it continues to quit after
that, try reducing the scratch space Photoshop or Freehand is using.

Hope that helps, and made sense <smile>.

Contacting Adobe with Frame Questions:
from <http://www.adobe.com/supportservice/custsupport/NOTES/46de.htm>

Free Technical Information--24 Hour Access
- e-mail: techdocs -at- adobe -dot- com, or comments -at- frame -dot- com (our goal is to reply
within 24 hours)
- FaxYI: (206) 628-5737
- the Technical Library on Adobe's Web site:
(http://www.adobe.com/supportservice/custsupport/tsfilelib.html)
- on-line services: CompuServe (GO ADOBEAPP); America Online (Keyword ADOBE)
- Adobe BBS: (206) 623-6984
- fax: (408) 975-6611 (our goal is to reply within 24 hours)

I don't know off-hand if the Framers' List is still active...

Regards,
dan'l

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 16:30:44 -0700
>From: Rum Ung <rung -at- FCPA -dot- FUJITSU -dot- COM>
>Subject: Frame quit while working
>
>Hello all,
>
>I've been having problem with Frame quit while I was working. Currently,
>I am
>using Frame 5.1.1 for Mac, running on Power PC 8500/120 with 32mg of
>RAM; I also
>use RAM doubler. This problem usually occurred when I used Frame with
>Freehand
>or Photoshop. This problem started about 2 weeks; never happened befofe.
>
>This message always showed after the application quit:
>"The application "unknown" has unexpectedly quit, because an error of
>type 1 occured."

Dan Brinegar Information Developer/Research Droid/Mac Guy
http://vr2link.com <-- under construction

Acting Chief Deputy Developer
Macintosh Technical Support
Arizona's only REAL Ex-NetZone Employee's Association!

djb -at- vr2link -dot- com -- Virtual INK
Performance S u p p o r t Svcs.