Re: Doc for multiple interfaces

Subject: Re: Doc for multiple interfaces
From: Mitch Berg <mberg -at- IS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 10:31:59 -0500

Charles Fisher wrote:

> We are already writing what we call "interface-independent" doc, in which
> we don't discuss interface specifics for commands. For example, instead of
> writing "Press F10" or "Select File|Save," we simply write "Save your
> work." There is a separate doc that gives specific about how to SAVE in
> each interface. What we need help with is how to show screen images with
> respect to these different interface flavors. Do we
>
> Produce a separate doc for each style of screen?
> Produce one doc that includes all styles of screens?
> Pick one style of screen and produce doc using it, not showing others?
Assuming your screens have _generally_ similar layouts, this might
work. Frame does this - FrameMaker manuals show, I believe, the Mac UI
in all publications.
> Produce doc that does not have any screen images?

Another possibility that I've used: assuming the various interfaces are
generally similar, produce a "generic" UI illustration - essentially
line-drawings showing basic controls, without depicting controls
specific to a particular UI.

In my case, these line drawings were simple, black-and-white, with only
basic control outlines, menus and labelling.