Re: Dvorak keyboard

Subject: Re: Dvorak keyboard
From: Pam Owen <Nighthawk1 -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 12:12:17 -0400

At 08:57 4/9/97 -0400, Michele Pointek wrote:

>R.C. Cassingham has put out a book on the Dvorak keyboard. He also has a
>web site where you can learn a bit more about the layout:
>http://www2.freecom.com/true/dvorak.html. I haven't switched over and am
>probably not going to out of attachment to the old way, but Randy told me
>he has increased his typing to over 100 words/minute- which increases the
>amount of money he can make. He has also informed me that he can not
>change back to the other keyboard. His fingers have forgotten the keys.

Obviously, I'm way behind in my mail. However, I wanted to add a note to
this thread. The April issue of Discover magazine has a great article on
why we're stuck using the QWERTY typewriter (now computer) keyboard when
the Dvorak design is far superior in terms of learning curve, easy of use,
efficiency, and health. Why did QWERTY win out? Could it have to do with
big business' and the government's overcommitting to a bad design and
refusing to budge? Remember how the Japanese outmaneuvered us on
transistors because American businesses and government refused to give up
their commitment to vacuum tubes? Check out the article. It has a lot to
say about keyboards and about the implications of commitment to a product.
You can read the article online at
http://www.enews.com/magazines/discover/magtxt/9704-1.html.

I personally would love to switch, but I'm a consultant and I'm not
ambidextrous enough to keep switching keyboard layouts when I work onsite.
Maybe some day business and government will come to their senses and make
the switch. Until then, I figure I'm stuck with QWERTY. Oh well, as an
editor, I don't really need to type fast. My speed with a mouse a few
crucial key combinations (such as for cutting and pasting) is more important.

Pamela Owen
Nighthawk Communications
Reston, Virginia, USA
E-mail: Nighthawk1 -at- mindspring -dot- com

"Life is like Sanskrit read to a pony"
- Lou Reed