Critiquing JOB POSTING: Technical Marketing Writer

Subject: Critiquing JOB POSTING: Technical Marketing Writer
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 13:50:09 -0500

That's easy: nobody was complaining about typos, they were complaining
about whole phrases and sentences that were either content-free or in code.

As a writer, I'm about meaning and communication and stuff like that. You
want your customers to know what's up, I'm your guy. You want no typos, try
the secretarial pool. You want grammar, try, um, well, this being Late
20'th Century Western Civilization I guess yer outa luck.

But I agree that jumping all over a job posting as a writing sample is not
a good idea. Writers are supposed to work for people who aren't as good at
writing. Kind of like most professions, except maybe barbers and dentists.
If everybody know how to write well, I'd have to get a real job.

Mike Huber, celebrating 2750 years of decline, and not speaking for anybody
else
Mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
Grammar and spelling are tools to be used in moderation.