Salutations!

Subject: Salutations!
From: Jim Chevallier <JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 04:16:40 -0400

Having just joined this illustrious company, I thought I would introduce
myself (no lurker I).

Like many a TW I knew in New York, I am an arty type (actor) making my $
doing technical writing. Amy Tan was my model for this, since I also write
fiction and was reading "Joy Luck Club" about the time I left being a
business analyst and sometime programmer at Chase, and discovered she'd been
a technical writer before making it big.

Being an actor (now in L.A.), I do my best to work off-site. I've gone back
and forth, though, since I started, having done direct mail for Xerox (via an
ad agency), then bank procedures for Chemical Bank, then hard-core program
documentation (FoxPro) for the City of New York, then more procedures for
Chemical, this time mostly off-site. I've got a pretty rich technical
background (SQL, COBOL, C, etc.) but have found my previous life as a radio
producer (interviewing people a lot) as useful as anything else in getting
the details and making them clear.

I've also done a lot of HTML for myself (see below), but no projects with it
so far.

The more I do this, the more I'm glad I left the far more stressed end of
programming and analysis (much as I loved the latter.) As a former
literature major (concentration in French), I was much bemused to discover I
could actually make a living with writing.

Et voila!
Jim Chevallier