Re: A contracting season?

Subject: Re: A contracting season?
From: Debbie Molis <dmolis -at- MLJ -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 15:32:11 -0400

In the Washington, DC, area, I would say that March-April and mid-Sept.
though October. are GREAT times to find assignments. Those are the "Busy"
seasons, I would say.

That is not to say, however, that you won't find work at any other time.
Networking, timing, and how you MARKET yourself have a lot to do with
success as a contractor, I've found.

In addition, if you find that a contract might stop in early November, when
the season is slow, you might ask for a higher rate to cover the risk that
you're taking or you might ask the company in question to "employ" you
through the end of the year.

If companies realize that staff vacations during the holiday interfere with
end-of-year business, some companies will be willing to extend the contract.

I have been very lucky. I have been able to find contract assignments
during slow times. When a contract ended the last day of December (96) and
the market had been somewhat slow, I was able to obtain an assignment with a
former client.

That contract is now ending on Wed. (and for some reason the market is a
little slow right now), and I am returning to work with the client whose
contract ended that last day of December!

Retaining clients is key in my book to being successful and continually
employed, as is maintaining friendly relationships with: former clients,
recruiters, other tech. writers, etc... And please don't take this the wrong
way. I don't mean to suggest that you be friendly just to ensure future
employment. I just think being personable is an important asset when you
contract, as is the quality of the work.

Debbie Molis
Technical Writer
dmolis -at- mlj -dot- com (until Wed. the 30th)
THEN AT SOME POINT SOON (When I get my new computer): dmolis -at- erols -dot- com