Toronto Job Opening

Subject: Toronto Job Opening
From: JAikens -at- ZOOMIT -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 16:59:59 -0400

This is not an "official" job posting, more a job notice. I am trying to help
management find a replacement for me quickly so I can leave with an easy
conscience.

The job is at Zoomit Corp in downtown Toronto. Zoomit is basically a small
software shop that is growing very quickly as a result of recent product
offerings that have attracted a lot of attention in the network world. You can
read about us at www.zoomit.com (where you will note that we have recently
become a part of PGP).

We need someone who can take over the entire documentation process, on-line
and on-paper, from planning to production. At this point it is a one-writer
shop but really needs two.

Requirements:
* Very skilled with and knowledgeable about Word for Windows. It's our main
tool and no one else here knows a lot about it.
* Experienced with Windows help files (we still use the 3.1 help compiler).
* Some understanding of HTML coding (HTML Transit experience would be nice)
* Able to use some standard drawing/graphics application

* Significant experience working with and/or documenting large, complex,
software systems.
* Experience creating "back-end" documentation for "back-end" types such as
network administrators, systems analysts, programmers. In other words, you
have to do a lot of explaining of complicated concepts.
* Any experience with e-mail, directory, or client/server database systems
would be useful

* Some programming experience would be nice, particularly in high-level
languages like database or application macro languages.
* Some understanding of Windows programming concepts would also be nice.

This job and this company require someone who can remain calm in the face of
chaos, learn quickly and independently, grasp abstract and usually still
half-developed concepts, and, of course, write clean, clear, well-organized
explanatory prose (with the occasional picture thrown in).

It can actually be a lot of fun. The only reason I'm leaving is to spend an
extended period in France -- which will be even more fun.

You can respond formally to Barry McPeake (bmcpeake -at- zoomit -dot- com). He will do
the hiring. If you want to discuss things a little more on an informal basis,
write to me, Jim Aikens (jaikens -at- zoomit -dot- com).

jim aikens
jaikens -at- zoomit -dot- com
www.zoomit.com