Re: Value of Documentation

Subject: Re: Value of Documentation
From: "THOMAS A. JOHNSON" <am312 -at- TRAVERSE -dot- LIB -dot- MI -dot- US>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 08:29:21 -0400

Where I work, our sales people frequently have potential customers visit
our facility. While they are here, they see how our machines are
built and they frequently ask to see the manuals. So, I get guests from
time to time, often unexpectedly, in my cubicile. It helps me keep my desk
somewhat tidy (most of the time).

I don't know if my manuals "sell" machines or not, but the sales people do
use them as a selling point. I keep hearing that they are better than our
competitors' manuals, but I have not seen what they are producing to know
for sure. Anyway, our sales people and management do believe the manuals
are a key feature for our product.

BTW, our machines range in price from $250K to $600K. My job is to produce
thirty some sets of manuals per year, customized for each machine.

To refer to another post about software: the task of customizing the
manuals was an absolute nightmare in PageMaker. Switching to Frame was a
life saver, especially when it comes to changing format, creating tables of
contents and the like. In short, I like almost everything about Frame for
the type of work that I do.

Following another thread about hot job locations, the climate is warming
up in cool Northern-lower Michigan. More and more industry is finding its
way to our beautiful area for better or for worse. Traverse City is one
of the biggest tourism areas in the state and a lot of companies decide to
set up shop here. My only complaint is it is growing too fast <sigh>.

One question before I go. Is Portland, Oregon sunny or rainy? Someone said
it rains every day. The two times I've been there the sun was shining
bright. I'm confused.

Tom Johnson

am312 -at- traverse -dot- lib -dot- mi -dot- us