Re: permanent jobs in DC area?

Subject: Re: permanent jobs in DC area?
From: Doreen Mannion <DoreenM520 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 12:59:53 -0400

In a message dated 97-04-28 20:10:02 EDT, mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM (Melissa
Hunter-Kilmer) writes:

A tech writer friend of a friend is considering relocating to
Washington, DC,
which is where I work. She has a concern about the area, though. She
has heard
that all the work here is heavily dependent on the federal government
and so
when Congress slashes the budget, jobs vanish.

The DC region rivals regions such as Research Triangle Park in the number of
high tech companies. While there a fair number of companies dependent on
federal dollars, there are many companies who are not. There are more
openings than there are candidates. I've lived in Northern Virginia for over
7 years, and have worked as both a consultant and a full-time employee. I've
never had a problem finding employment. There are also several placement
agencies in the area who place nothing but writers, editors, etc.

A few warnings: the employers tend to be overly "tool" concerned, IMHO. Many
tend to look only at resumes listing the particular tools they use. (big
mistake, you employers!) Also, the salaries and status of the job varies
tremendously from co. to co., but I suppose that's true all over.

Another benefit of working as a TW here, the local STC chapter is excellent.

doreen