Hyphens (was: E-mail or e-mail)

Subject: Hyphens (was: E-mail or e-mail)
From: Paul Branchaud <paul -at- VEDGE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 10:23:10 -0400

On Tue, 29 Apr 1997, Mike Starr wrote:

> I say it should be email (who needs those pesky hyphens, anyway?).
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Speaking of pesky hyphens...

Can anyone tell me what the Chicago Manual of Style has to say about
on-line vs online with regards to documentation (HTML format) and help
systems. Many people on the winhlp-L list use the unhyphenated version
when referring to help systems. The Associated Press Stylebook and Libel
Manual we have (I have to start begging for the CMoS again) says to use
the hyphenated version for the computer connection term and two words in
all other cases. I want to establish some sort of consistency here, but
I'll have more success if I can quote a "writer's bible" (so to speak).

I am having problems connecting to documentation.com in order to check the
archives. If this has previously been discussed ad nauseam, please respond
privately.

TIA,

Paul