Re: A contracting season

Subject: Re: A contracting season
From: Yvonne DeGraw <yvonne -at- SILCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 08:49:43 -0700

From the discussion of contracting seasons, it appears that many contractors
on this list take only one contract at a time.

I generally have about 2-3 major clients and 1-2 minor clients at a time. I
find that even if one client has a lot of work, they have slack times when
their software isn't usable, they've been making internal software changes
that don't need documenting, they need time to review the doc, critical
people are on vacation, or whatever. (Also, I guess I work pretty fast.)

Anyway, are there others of you who take multiple clients? Do most people
take only one client for 6 months or whatever. Sounds almost like being an
employee. (And the IRS might think so too...)

I'd agree that it's tough to get a project started around November/December
because of the holidays. Other than that, I don't really see a season, but
most of the companies or divisions I work with are in the 25-100 employee range.
Yvonne DeGraw, Technical Services o Technical Writing
yvonne -at- silcom -dot- com o Web Authoring
http://www.silcom.com/~yvonne/ o Database Design and Publishing
Tel: 805/683-5784 o User-Interface Design
Fax: 805/892-5179