Re: (Fwd) Re: RFC1983 (Was E-mail or e-mail)

Subject: Re: (Fwd) Re: RFC1983 (Was E-mail or e-mail)
From: Michael Clark <mclark -at- MTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 14:49:15 -0400

Kathy Graden wrote:

> I prefer e-mail over email as an abbreviation for "electronic mail."
> After all, do we say xray or x-ray? Tshirt or t-shirt?

Yes, I agree with Kathy. If the name of a letter is part of a word, it
should be separated with a hyphen so it isn't read as part of the rest
of the word. I would think that's more than reason enough to keep the
hyphen.

Are there not more people out there who read "email" as "EM-ale" at
first glance?

Besides which, I think English is confusing enough without adding more
non-rule rules to cover cases in which a simply hyphen would suffice.

Mike