Re: FrameMaker Indexing

Subject: Re: FrameMaker Indexing
From: "Wayne J. Douglass" <wayned -at- VERITY -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 11:55:03 -0700

At 02:34 PM 4/30/97 -0400, Dennis Hays wrote:

>The old WordPerfect (I'm not up on the current release of this software)
>had a much superior method. You could create a "concordance" file--a
>separate file with just a list of index words. WordPerfect would compare
>this file against the doc file (if you had Master/Sub documents, then to
>all files) and build the index. How I wish Frame had something like this...

This approach is OK if your idea of an index is to flag *every* instance of
the index term in the document. If you want to point the reader to the most
relevant section of the document, the manual method (with the attendant
thought that goes into selecting this passage and not some other passage)
would be superior.

For example, if an important function is PDF conversion, do you want your
readers to find that topic, or do you want them to wade through an index
where each instance of PDF is noted, even if it appears as one item in a list?

--Wayne Douglass