Re: COBOL Translations?

Subject: Re: COBOL Translations?
From: Brett Peruzzi <Brett -dot- Peruzzi -at- FDC-INVEST -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 08:11:21 -0400

jerolynn asked:

>Do any tools exist to convert COBOL code to some form of
>documentation, or to extract some of the useful code?

Assuming you want programming, not user doc, VIA/SmartDoc, from VIA/SOFT,
Inc. might fit the bill. It analyzes COBOL programs and automatically
produces program documentation in report and diagram form.

jerolynn, e-mail me privately if you want more details. We've got the
product at my company, but I honestly don't think we use it that much.

Brett Peruzzi
Documentation Manager
First Data Investor Services Group
Boston, MA

Subject: COBOL Translations?
Author: jerolynn cochrane <cochrane -at- CARIBSURF -dot- COM> at Internet
Date: 4/30/97 8:08 PM

Hello,
I'm an ex-lurker and I'm back! And glad to be.
I've been asked to quote on a job which is documenting a 4-year old COBOL
application which has since been customized.
The burning question is:
Do any tools exist to convert COBOL code to some form of documentation, or
to extract some of the useful code?
The other question is:
Can you use the number of lines of code (100,000 for this one) as a factor
in estimating the time required to do the job? If you can, can I? Any
guidelines on this one?

Thanks in advance
Jerolynn Cochrane