What we do for a living

Subject: What we do for a living
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 09:02:31 -0500

Beverley Henderson wondered what techwhirlers do for a
living apart from documenting computer stuff. I'm a forest
biologist by training and I work for a company that does
operational problem-solving for the forest industry.
Editing technology transfer reports and translating the
French ones into English, plus dealing with the printer to
get the reports published, is probably 75% of my daily
work. The remaining 25% is truly miscellaneous, ranging
from communications consulting to preparing slide and
overhead presentations and video scripts. But I also do
more typical techwhirling, specifically software docs
(we're doing a computer sensitivity-analysis model for fall
release) and developing a process for our beta testing
(first time). I'm also involved in assessing new and
emerging communication media, most recently in the form of
consulting on our Web site, which is currently contracted
out (I designed the image map that tells you where you are
in the site, and provided much of the content, though I'm
scared to look and see what the consultant did to it); I
hope to be working more actively on the site later this
summer. (No, the Web isn't really "new"; it's just new to
the forest industry.)