Re: trademark usage questions

Subject: Re: trademark usage questions
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 15:17:12 -0500

At 12:33 PM 5/1/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I have absolutely no idea what any of this has to do with trademark
>laws, but I don't see it as an adjective/noun thing at all. It's more of
>a members/class thing. Red and purple are members of a class called
>color. Table and chair are members of a class called furniture.
>PowerBuilder and VB are members of a class called development tools.
>
>Maybe I'm just in a different frame of mind right now. I hope this makes
>sense to somebody.
>
>Bev Parks
>parksb -at- emh1 -dot- hqisec -dot- army -dot- mil

The original question touches both issues, although Chris asked specifically
about trademark law. In his example, he was giving a couple of "such as's"
and he compared it to offering two colors as examples of a general class
called "color." I think the construction of the colors example was awkward
and unnecessary and I'd edit out the two colors, because everybody knows
they're colors. On the other hand, not everybody knows about development
tools, so examples are more appropriate. I personally think his first
construction was acceptable.

Tim Altom
Vice President, Simply Written, Inc.
317.899.5882 (voice) 317.899.5987 (fax)