Tables vs Indents

Subject: Tables vs Indents
From: Feeman Kevin SC2275 <Feeman_Kevin_SC2275_at_SATCOM23 -at- SATGATE -dot- SAT -dot- MOT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 14:27:08 MST

Hi all.

I need advice. I am working on a programmer's interface guide which
contains a lot of information placed in multiple-rowed, multi-columned
tables with varying cell widths in Microsoft Word 7.0. Each class of
software within the manual has its own section, yet the majority of
the information table cells and columns are the same. Each
information bit is represented with roughly equal cell width within
the tables. Each of these cells in the individual sections should be
aligned.

However, I am constantly finding that the columns and cells keep
shifting and they are no longer even. This is getting to be a big
pain to go in and try to align these tables every time the developer
decides to make a change, who is working from a UNIX machine. My
questions is would I be better off converting the tables to indents
and tabs? My first inclination is yes, because I could set the tabs
and indents the same for each section. What do you all think? Please
reply to me privately. Thanks.

Kevin Feeman
Technical Communicator
Envision