Re: MONEY IN TORONTO

Subject: Re: MONEY IN TORONTO
From: Nicholas Russon <nrusson -at- LAVASYS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 11:11:58 -0400

Barbara Ridley asked:

> With the difference in currency, I'm wondering if anybody knows where
> to get Canadian currency for things like paying for the taxi to our
> hotels after arriving by plane?

Most places in Toronto will happily accept U.S. funds...and some of
them will even give you a premium of anywhere from niggardly up to
reasonable or (occasionally) generous.

Cabbies may or may not follow the rule...once on returning to Toronto
from the U.S., I had no Canadian funds with me to pay the cab fare.
When I offered to pay in $U.S., I had to pay the price at par...at the
exchange rate of the day, that was an automatic 30% tip (the bugger
even had the effrontery to imply that I should have given him more!)

A second experience had the cabbie accept U.S. dollars at about
a 25% premium...after the previous trip, I _did_ tip this guy. ;-)

Regards,
Nicholas
Nicholas Russon
nrusson -at- lavasys -dot- com (work) nrusson -at- interlog -dot- com (home)
http://www.lavasys.com http://www.interlog.com/~nrusson

Visit my TH&B Railway home page:
http://www.interlog.com/~nrusson/thb/thb_home.html