Canadian Currency

Subject: Canadian Currency
From: "George F. Hayhoe" <gfhayhoe -at- SCESCAPE -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 09:50:16 -0400

Barb Ridley asked where to get Canadian currency to pay
taxifares, etc. on arrival in Toronto.

You should be able to get Canadian currency at most US banks,
with a few days' notice anyway. (If I can do that here in a
small town in SC, I assume you can do it almost anywhere!)

There will also be currency exchange counters at Pearson Airport
in Toronto, though such places typically take advantage by
giving you an unfavorable rate.

A better option is to find an ATM machine at the airport.

Finally, on previous trips to Canada, I've found cabbies,
shopkeepers, etc. very willing to make change if I ran out of
Canadian currency.

One note: Our Canadian neighbors use coins for $1 (loonies) and
$2 (toonies) denominations. Make sure you use any that you don't
want to bring back as souvenirs, since currency exchanges
usually accept bills only.

--George Hayhoe (george -at- ghayhoe -dot- com)

George Hayhoe Associates
Voice: +1 803-642-2156
Fax: +1 803-642-9325
Award-winning Web site: http://www.ghayhoe.com