Re: TW role in Y2K issues

Subject: Re: TW role in Y2K issues
From: Doreen Mannion <DoreenM520 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 11:36:29 -0400

<< Maybe I missed something about year 2000 but I thought its effect was
contained in antiquated mainframe software which, generally, is only used
by the federal government, some state governments, and ultra-large
database-driven corporations and of those entities, how many technical
writers document the operation of such software? It seems to me we're
almost all employed in corporations using modern software documenting
modern devices which aren't dependent on the what the last two digits of
the year are.>>

Oh, heavens, no! What about the PC or Mac you use to write your doc, as well
as your software tools? Are they all year 2000 compliant?

If your company produces medical-related software or hardware, banking
software, oh, the list goes on and on, the year 2000 issue may impact you. It
isn't just mainframes that may quit December 31, 1999; it may be things like

ATM machines
elevators
heart monitors
airplanes