Re: Spanish translation of manuals

Subject: Re: Spanish translation of manuals
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- HOUSTON -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 10:13:50 -0500

Steven Warren wrote:

> my question is how valuable would it be to be able to write technical
> manuals in english and spanish. Is there a market for technical manuals in
> spanish. Does anyone out there do such a thing and if so is it rewarding
> financially.

Companies pay big bucks to have their manuals translated into all sorts
of languages, including Spanish. It looks like you're suggesting writing
simultaneously (sort of) in both languages? Or maybe translating your
own work? Either sounds like a lot of work, but if you can pull it off,
I would think you'd be quite marketable, particularly in regions of the
country that do a lot of business with Mexico and Latin America. NAFTA
has increased business opportunities south of the border, so I think a
bilingual writer might be in demand pretty soon.

Good luck,
Steve
--
Stephen P. Victor Phone: (713) 513-2552
Technical Writer, Software Training Fax: (713) 513-2019