Age discrimination

Subject: Age discrimination
From: Ann Sweeney <sweeney -at- CINTERACTIVE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 13:38:54 -0400

How old you are is none of anyone's business. As an in-house recruiter, I
have seen many resumes both with and without dates (of all sorts, inclusive
to graduation) and believe that although this matter is an issue of personal
style that there is no reason for their inclusion.

On the sneaky questions front, the questions that Bob cited are both
illegal. A potential employer is not allowed to ask age-related questions,
nor are they allowed to inquire about marital or dependent status. It can
be tricky handling these questions in an interview situation, but you can
always say something like "I appreciate your interest, but I prefer not to
discuss my personal life in the context of a business interview."

Buck, you do not have to provide an potential employer with your SS and
driver's license unless someone is asking you for proof of citizenship.
(These documents can be used by HR departments as alternatives to supplying
a passport.) This should be required only after you have been offered the
job, or if citizenship, etc., is a prerequisite of your candidacy.

I hope this helps.

Good luck,

Ann

>If an employer has to ask when you graduated high school/college, it
>must not be stated on the resume. Is it now preferable to leave
>graduation dates off the resume?
>
>Thanks
>Steve
>jsbrooks -at- ingr -dot- com
>
>>----------

Ann Sweeney
Cambridge Interactive
124 Mt. Auburn Street
Suite 180
Cambridge, MA 02138

sweeney -at- cinteractive -dot- com
http://www.cinteractive.com/

617-520-2100 (voice)
617-492-0808 (fax)

What's difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."
-- Ralph Nader