cover letters...

Subject: cover letters...
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 19:47:18 -0400

Becca Price <RP51 -at- CHRYSLER -dot- COM> wrote:

>I've been asked to send a resume with a cover letter >explaining why the company needs me... and my mind is blank >today. Any suggestions?

Some day, somebody is going to write a book about snappy answers to
common job-hunting questions.

Meanwhile, I keep all my cover letters on disk, and cut and paste and
personalize when I need one.

One way I always answer the question of why a tech-writer is useful is
that users always encounter the documentation soon after buying a
product. As a result, their impression of the company and product is
partly determined by the documentation. In other words, good
documentation means good PR.

However, I do wonder: are you being asked to explain why a tech-writer
is needed, or why you should be that writer?

--
Bruce Byfield (bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com / bbyfield -at- ca -dot- ibm -dot- com)
Technical Writer

"I never had the chance to prove them wrong,
My time was short, the story long,
No, I never had the chance to prove them wrong,
It's always them that write the song."
--Oyster Band, "Oxford Girl"