Resume/age/freshness dating

Subject: Resume/age/freshness dating
From: Dan BRINEGAR <vr2link -at- VR2LINK -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 06:32:16 -0700

One of my mentors at STC strongly suggested that a resume should *only*
include the last five years of *relevant* work, or the last five contracts
(within the last five years), whichever shows the most work accomplished,
and the second page (the "agency" page) should be a bulleted table listing
of all skills.

This is recommended, of course, for folks who have been working for more
than five years <smile>. Folks who have just finished school within the
last few years will probably only need one page and include work done in
school to fill in the blanks.

I guess I'm fortunate that in the last five years I've been working in
technical communication and related fields... it's been awhile since any
interviewer asked me about what I did prior to 1990, or worried about how
McDonald's in 1979 or Auto Restoration in 1988 related to techwriting.

"See here, between 1980 and 1987, you have a different job in a different
*country* every year! I'm really going to need someone who can stick to one
thing for awhile..."

"Oh, well, you see, Ma'am, that was in the Army; where you get promoted or
transferred almost every year, but thank you for your time."

OR: when I rolled all my military experience into one block on my resume,
no matter how bold or italic or LARGE I made the dates involved, I got
questions like: "But according to this, you've only had two jobs: I'm going
to need more experience than that..."

I wonder how the folks who have worked in one place for 15 years then got
downsized handle that question.

>Not including a graduation date could be perceived as an attempt to
>disguise downtime between school and your first job.

<big grin> That's *never* been a problem.

Dan BRINEGAR Information Developer/Research Droid/Mac Guy

http://vr2link.com/ <--- Under Construction

"My friends: Everything we ever learned about Subjunctive Parable Routines
in COBOL is Wrong!!!!!
Recursive Allegory Classes are the way to go I have SEEN THE LIGHT!!!!!!
[Feast.Container -- ProdigalOffspring.Class -- MammalianLivestock.Obj]
... it's all clear to me now."

vr2link -at- vr2link -dot- com