Re: Agencies-response

Subject: Re: Agencies-response
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 09:31:15 -0500

From: Arlen P Walker on 05/13/97 09:31 AM

<grump>
but we also need a forum to frankly express our opinions and
experiences. The list is for *US* -- and none of us should have to
fear "black-listing"by potential employers for posting frank opinions
on this list. It's a wonderful added bonus if a would-be employer
wishes to court us in *our * arena, but none of us should have to
censor our discussions for fear of retribution.

Wondrous bold words from someone who obviously doesn't believe them, and
instead feels (he?/she?/it?) has to hide behind a wall while tossing vague,
unsubstantiated rumors over it. Sorta reminds me of the days of my youth,
and the little old lady who lived in the tumble-down mansion on the corner
of town that "everyone knew" was a witch. Didn't believe it then, don't
believe you now.

How else can we effect change in the industry or raise professional
standards if we cringe timidly in the face of ill-treatment?

Yep. Got to hand it to you. Anonymous whispers in a dark room are
definitely a more professional approach. What's next, bringing about
industry change by dressing in white sheets and burning crosses? Maybe some
lynching under cover of darkness. Thanks for raising the standards.

There's "cringe timidly in the face of ill-treatment" and then there's
professional courtesy. Professional courtesy demands specifics which can be
objectively verified to be true or false. Unsubstantiated opinions aren't
worth the electrons they take to transmit. As tech writers, our stock in
trade is fact, not rumor. Incidents between employers and employees are
like the pages in the manuals we write, only useful if the audience can get
a firm grasp on both sides.

You think you were wronged. Fine. Take one teaspoonful of sympathy from
petty cash and get on with your life. Don't waste our time by whining about
it. Rumors of bad treatment from an anonymous and obviously disgruntled
former employee aren't worth the effort to read. Perhaps the place *was*
bad; no way to know it from what *you* wrote.

Proves the point about free speech.

It only proves that at least one of the participants had class. Would have
been nice if *all* did, though. Proves nothing at all about free speech.
<\grump>

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224