Programming and agencies

Subject: Programming and agencies
From: John Glenn <sfarmh1 -at- SCFN -dot- THPL -dot- LIB -dot- FL -dot- US>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 06:50:37 -0400

Relates to both writer=as=programmer and agencies threads.
For years this TW made a concerted effort to avoid
programming. Nothing wrong with programming, but not my
''thing.'' Mind you, I coded Ventura and Interleaf, and a
while back started handcoding html. But that is not
programming.
In order to do more in the html arena, I need to know Java
and Javascript (different animals, I know). I signed up for
a Java course and was told there is a C++ requisite. Despite
arguing for dispensation, the instructor stood firm.
So now I am taking Beginning C++ at the local JC.
Meanwhile, the consulting company for which I work on a W-2
basis - DMR Trecom - picks up the tab ... up to $2k/year.
This is the same company that told me, when I signed on 2
years ago, ''between projects you'll be 'on the beach' and
your pay will continue ... don't worry.'' Six months later I
nervously was on the beach for a month ... no one even
hinted that I was about to be laid off. Instead, busy work
was found for me until a new project materialized. Trecom,
at least the Tampa management, kept its word and I am a
happy camper.

john glenn <sfarmh1 -at- scfn -dot- thpl -dot- lib -dot- fl -dot- us>