Re: foreign characters in email

Subject: Re: foreign characters in email
From: John -dot- Cornellier -at- PARIS -dot- IE -dot- PHILIPS -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 15:31:22 +0200

Fabien Vais wrote "Does anyone know how I could use French accents IN E-MAIL
messages.... In e-mail ... I can display the accents perfectly in the message
I'm sending. However, when it gets to its destination, the accents are converted
to bizarre code."
++++++++++++++
I saw in your original posting that Alt+0162 didn't display as you described.
But I kept quiet. However, since you *do* ask:
It appears impossible to predict how so-called foreign characters are going to
appear. Yes Alt+0162 will always appear as a cent sign on your system, as it
does in mine (Win31 under langfr.dll). However, there is char-remapping
postoffice, encoding, or internet level. I can only speculate as to the cause,
but suffice to say that the changes occur somewhere outside the control of the
user.
I don't know how to predict when the problem will arise, & I don't know a way
around it. I've looking for a pattern for some time & can't discern one. Most of
my French colleagues have given up using accents in emails for this reason.
Still, musn't grumble, imagine what the Russians/Arabs/Japanese among others are
going through.
I guess this is why they use those "&***" type chars in HTML, and why you never
see anything outside the basic char set in internet addresses.
Hope this isn't too far off topic - I cannot reply privately because my ccmail
postoffice just puts "TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU" in the email from line.
Anyone know if anything can be done? (In the meantime remember that unsigned
notes can have the appearance of anonymous postings).
Fabien, if you want to try to determine which chars are effected, etc., you can
write to this foreign character in Paris at:

John -dot- Cornellier -at- Paris -dot- IE -dot- philips -dot- com