Re: proofing docs

Subject: Re: proofing docs
From: Alexia Prendergast <alexiap -at- SEAGATESOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 15:23:20 -0400

>>>she said that it's quite common for manuals,
>>>release notes, and suchlike things to go out from software companies
>>>without ever being proofread.
>
>>Is this true in y'all's experience?

Not since my first job. It would happen and
I was told the same thing -- it's common. Many jobs
later, I know that's unacceptable. True, as someone
pointed out, reality sometimes limits the depth of
that proof, but it absolutely essential to have some
kind of proof.

Since at deadline time, the writers are running around
like nuts and can't be bothered, I include a few days of
contractor time in the budget so, when the final
review draws near, a contract editor can proof the
stuff. A fresh pair of eyes does wonders.

A.
--
Alexia Prendergast
Senior Technical Writer