Our results of intern postings to newsgroup

Subject: Our results of intern postings to newsgroup
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 13:27:48 -0700

I wanted to share with this group the results of letting the newsgroup
know that we periodically hire interns.

Last fall, in one of my messages, I mentioned that we have a program of
hiring and training interns. In response, I got (among others) some
email from a student in Germany who asked about possibly becoming one or
our interns. We exchanged email, and ultimately there were a couple of
long-distance phone interviews and some hard-copy samples of his work,
and after our filling out some simple government forms he arrived here
in mid-February. Our folks made sure he felt welcome, and helped him
find housing and transportation and places to eat and places for
entertainment (our intranet helped a lot), and he pitched right in, both
learning new tools and helping others learn what he already knew.

In the process of his paid internship he became a very valuable writer
on one of our client projects, and put in a couple of work-till-5 a.m.
sessions on the client's behalf, which as those of you who have earned
your stripes know can happen occasionally. His internship finishes up
on Friday, and he will be returning to Germany to complete his Master's
thesis. We want him back as a permanent employee when he's done (we've
made him an offer which he has tentatively accepted), and know that he
will be a very valuable asset in our company. This is one illustration
of how job postings to newsgroups can work.

Secondly, we posted a message about our internship program here a couple
of months ago, and received a number of interesting resumes from all
over the country as a result. We are in the process of making offers
right now, and all of the candidates found us via the newsgroups.
Another illustration of how job postings here can work.

Elna Tymes, president
Los Trancos Systems