Co-Op Business

Subject: Co-Op Business
From: Allan Sand <asand -at- FLASH -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 17:24:45 -0700

Hello everyone,

I hope you've all seen my posting from Sunday (May 18, 97) about starting a
co-op business with tech writers in the San Francisco Bay Area. Several
have expressed interest in being kept appraised of progress. I'd like to
repost my request with a couple of modifications (messages get old fast on
this list).

I am planning the start-up of a writers co-op business, initially starting
in the San Francisco/San Jose area, then expanding to all the hi-tech areas
in the US.

As a template, I will use a similar co-op business that I started in 1979
with several graphic artists. This operation worked for 7 years (until it
finally broke up when two of the key members moved out of the area.

We formed the co-op to compete with ad agencies and design houses. By
combining our talents we competed very well and it was easier to get the
bigger jobs.

The co-op entity billed for all of us and paid the common operating
expenses. It did this by retaining 15% of the billing, then passing the
remaining amount directly back to the person who did the work. Everyone
made a much better living than if they were independent.

So, what I want to request is this:

1. If you live in the San Francisco Bay Area (SFBA) -- contact me to get
together. (You are welcome to invite your professional friends and
acquaintances.)

2. If you know a writer who lives in the SFBA, either contact me with their
name or ask them to Email me.

3. If are not in the SFBA, but would be interested in being a part of the
capabilities listing, let me know. When the co-op begins expanding or a
specialized request comes in, knowing who is expert in what will come in
handy.

4. If you would be interested in beginning or managing a regional office,
let me know.

5. If you know writers who don't receive this listing, Email them this
message.

To start the co-op, I need to have a minimum of 10 local writers.

I've seen a lot of comments, complaints and just plain irritation when it
comes to agencies and their mark-ups, margins, etc. - and the secrecy
behind it all. I've got a plan that will really compete with them in the
marketplace.

If you want to offer advice, I want to hear it. I don't claim to be
all-knowing or an expert in everything. I want input from anyone who is
willing to give it..

Allan Sand
( asand -at- flash -dot- net )