Re: Is temping a good way to start?

Subject: Re: Is temping a good way to start?
From: "Mitman, Rikki" <Rikki -dot- Mitman -at- COMPAQ -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 15:06:01 -0500

Yes, it's a good way to start, because you'll get to try different kinds
of work, expand your experience more quickly, and check out different
companies. However, I'm concerned your limited direct experience and
portfolio might make it a little harder.

As others have pointed out, you can rewrite the descriptions of previous
jobs on your resume to highlight the writing you did at each place.
Also, you might try to find positions with companies whose technologies
(or whatever needs to be documented) a related to your business
experience -- user guides for financial applications and such.

Also, it is sometimes possible to get around the
confidential/proprietary nature of some writing samples by whiting out
such things as company and product names. There's still enough text left
in the sample for an interviewer to get as sense of your capabilities
and the breadth of your experience. I have done this, and those who saw
the samples liked the fact that I managed to show my work while
respecting the trust others had placed in me.

It's hard to recommend agencies without knowing where you are. You might
want to post your metro area; local people will probably give you some
good references.