SGML and Adobe

Subject: SGML and Adobe
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 10:02:41 -0500

I just wanted to let the list members know that Adobe/Teltek Systems put on
a good show in Chicago a few weeks ago, presenting FrameMaker +SGML and SGML
concepts in general.

For me the centerpiece of the day-long seminar was Mark Hickey, who oversees
doc at United Airlines. They've gone to SGML. Hickey gave a realistic and
detailed picture of how they did it, the compromises they had to make, and
the results they've achieved. According to him the results were far, far
above the modest gains they forecast.

Anybody else had first-hand experience with SGML implementation? And if you
have, what was the profile of the project? Connected to that question is
this one: if you haven't used SGML, what's your impression of how it should
be used?

Tim Altom
Vice President, Simply Written, Inc.
317.899.5882 (voice) 317.899.5987 (fax)