Re: Who are we?

Subject: Re: Who are we?
From: Steve Evanina <Steve -dot- Evanina -at- SCIATL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 13:09:00 -0500

My experience is from the hardware side of the fence. I have seen very
few women documenting hardware and I'm not sure why. We have had a few
women writers here, but they never lasted. One female coop left in
confusion before her assignment was complete. In fairness to her, she
was not given an easy task; "part out" a huge system that was not
documented (engineering documentation) correctly. Note that our
systems consist of electrical, electronic, mechanical, pneumatic, and
computer (several) systems. Here, women engineers are in the minority.
We have some, and the ones that are here are extremely good and easy
to work with. Engineering (EE/ME) seems to be a male dominated
profession.

In my past experiences (mostly documenting hardware) all tech writers
that I knew were male. I was in the business (TW) almost 10 years
before I met a female writer and then it was when I was documenting
software.

Are most STC members software writers? If so a large segment of the TW
industry is not represented. This would skew the statistics to
indicate that more women are tech writers than are men.

steve -dot- evanina -at- sciatl -dot- com