Re: desperately seeking java-based help LONG

Subject: Re: desperately seeking java-based help LONG
From: Mary McCauley-Stiff <Mary_McCauley-Stiff -at- STRATUS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 17:34:12 -0400

Ruth Glaser wrote:

>I've spent the last hour searching Sun's java sites for information
>about their forthcoming java-based help solution. I couldn't find
>anything. Does anyone have a specific URL?

Some help info exists at their Java Management API site
(http://Java.sun.com/products/JavaManagement/), but it hasn't been
updated in quite a while, so I'm thinking the concept isn't quite taking
off. This solution wasn't appropriate for me, so I am not using it.

>BTW, is anyone else really irritated by NetHelp and HTML Help being
>represented as platform independent?

Very irritated. I am currently writing online help for a Java app. I
remember the exact moment when I realized that NetHelp and HTML Help
wouldn't work for me. Arghhh...

>Anyone else keeping their fingers crossed for java-based help
>development tools?)

I am displaying help in a Java-compliant HTML viewer (a product called
jHelp - see http://w3.nai.net/~rvdi/jhelp/jhelp.html). However, the
person selling this product seems to be marketing it towards
*programmers*, not technical writers. A window of opportunity is open
for a person or company to develop a Java-compliant help authoring tool.
Like Ruth said, it's a matter of getting their attention.

And for those of you so, so tired of HTML and all the third-party
extensions, check out http://www.randomnoise.com. This company has a
product called Coda, which is a Java Web site builder. No HTML! I like
seeing products like this because it doesn't seem like HTML is going to
do the job for HTML online help. (However, XML...) People are thinking
outside the box.

I am very glad to see these posts regarding Java-based help. It makes me
feel less alone! Please, those of you doing Java-based help, please take
the time to share your current tools and techniques! Your experiences
are very much appreciated. If you request it, I will send my experiences
to you.

These are just my observances after spending WEEKS trying to find a
cross-platform online help solution for a Java app. I usually lurk
because I'm worried about being technically inaccurate, but Eric's
recent post about contributing more gave me encouragement.

Outta here,

Mary McCauley-Stiff

mary_mccauley-stiff -at- stratus -dot- com
marym-s -at- mindspring -dot- com