Tooltip Guidelines?

Subject: Tooltip Guidelines?
From: Danna Cardwell <DLCardwe -at- SOFTART -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 09:47:06 -0500

We are adding tooltips to our products. We are struggling with wording. How
much is too much? How exact does the tooltip have to be?

For example, clicking an icon opens a dialog box from where the user can add,
update, delete, view, and print database records about people.

So, what should we call the tooltip? Some suggestions include:

Open the People dialog box
Maintain People
Edit People
Modify People
Open People

Does anyone have any recommendations or know of any reference matierals
specific to tooltips?

Thanks,

Danna
dlcardwe -at- softart -dot- com