Re: Linking to other's pages

Subject: Re: Linking to other's pages
From: MacGyver <mlee -at- FDLDOTNET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 14:38:26 -0500

< -------- SNIP -------->

> It's an interesting issue, but whether you agree with Ticketmaster's
> position is not the question. Even if you think they're behaving like
> morons, they have a right to behave like morons. The idea we should take
> away from this story is this: it's time to recognize that it's a Good Thing
> to get permission for those links after all. The technology is there to
> greatly inconvenience your audience (and harm your site's image and
> utility) if you don't. And as more sites become ad-supported, this
> phenomena may soon become the norm, rather than an aberration. Ticketmaster
> has given the tube a good squeeze; the toothpaste won't go back in readily.

A lot of the problems stem from people linking directly to an inside web
page rather than the MAIN page of a site. This is understandable. I
have seen many examples of people linking to specific pages to download
a file and bypassing the main information pages concerning the company
or product. The link bypasses all of the advertising which cuts into
the websites revenue. I've even run across direct links to areas of a
web site for downloading a REGISTERD product that bypasses the
registration and payment pages. I can understand why they are upset
about these types of actions.

I personally make it a point to request permission before linking to a
site and always link to the MAIN page, unless I have permission to
dootherwise. After all, the person creating the web site should have
some control over how it is displayed, especially in frames.

--
/`-_ Mac Funkhouser N9VST Mailto:mlee -at- fdldotnet -dot- com
{ }/ Ripon, WI 54971-1561