Converting Graphics to GIF or JPEG

Subject: Converting Graphics to GIF or JPEG
From: Roz Ault - User Support Technology - ext 377 <AULT -at- FAXON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 14:49:23 -0400

Re:

> If I understand correctly, the graphics for HTML
> must be in JPEG or GIF format. When you create a
> graphic in Frame using their tools, they are not in
> an HTML recognizable format and the Frame conversion
> to HTML function is not currently able to do this
> for you. I also have this problem - manuals full of
> graphics which are a combination of BMPs (usually
> screen grabs of dialogue boxes) annotated with Frame
> drawing tools. A quick and easy procedure to convert
> to JPEG or GIF would be wonderful.

A tool that does this quite well is MacLink Plus. I've only used
it on a Mac, but there is a corresponding program (called, I
believe, Conversions Plus) for Windows. On the Mac, you just
follow the simple directions to make a converter document that
creates GIF or JPEG files. You then drag your BMP, PICT, or whatever
file or folder full of files on top of the converter document, and
they are automatically converted. (Actually, copies are saved in the
new format; the original files are unchanged.)

The only thing it doesn't do (which I wish it would) is to rename
the files with a GIF or JPG extension.

You can get more information about MacLink from <http://www.dataviz.com>

- Roz Ault
ault -at- faxon -dot- com