Re: Temping: An alternative to agencies?

Subject: Re: Temping: An alternative to agencies?
From: joanne grey <j_grey -at- WRITEANGLES -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 15:46:25 -0700

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca wrote:
[about using a Kelly-type service instead of a technical recruiter]

When I did some work through them (admittedly years ago), the office
staff at Kelly was fairly knowledgable both about what was expected by
the hiring company and what a technical writer brought to the table.

Most of the jobs I did for them were combination writer/editor jobs or
very similar. Most of the time, the contract extended beyond its
original time frame, and once resulted in a permanent job offer. Not all
of them had the title "technical writer".

Pay rates were what I'd consider "not bad", work was plentiful, and they
kept track of the conditions that their people were working under.

No, it didn't further my career, but at the same time, I did get to
learn new s/w apps and meet others who later turned out to be very
helpful to my career. All in all, it was a pretty good experience.