Re: Job Postings -Reply

Subject: Re: Job Postings -Reply
From: Peter Brown <pbrown -at- MKS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 17:31:20 -0400

*Of course* requiring "excellent writing skills" of a prospective
technical writer is redundant. So what?

It is there so that someone who does not get interviewed or hired
precisely because of their poor or mediocre writing skills can not come
back and say, "Well, your ad didn't say I had to be great writer!!"

Just now, I randomly chose an ad for a software developer from The Globe
and Mail (Canadian newspaper). It wants applicants to have "top quality
(sic) design and programming skills with extensive experience in ....bla
bla bla"

If you don't state the minimum requirements of the job, no matter how
seemingly obvious they are, you're going to get too many unqualified
applicants who just decided this morning that maybe they should be a
tech writer, and you're going to get more beefs from people who didn't
get the job.