Skills/Authoring/Writing/Desperation

Subject: Skills/Authoring/Writing/Desperation
From: Dan BRINEGAR <vr2link -at- VR2LINK -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 23:51:07 -0700

[I've noticed a tendency on my part to attempt to answer one thread, and
start including connections to another thread, so that soon enough, my
posts get huge, and somewhat unweildy... <blush> So here I am with stuff I
cut out of my last two posts, figuring they'd make more sense all by
themselves than rambling on and on and on at the bottom of another
post...<giggle>]

I think the "T/Ws and Programming Skills" and "desperately seeking
java-help" threads go together nicely; It's just not about serial commas
anymore -- In the immortal words of David (TheMan) Blyth

>An Web engineer can write a Java module and post their (disorganized) notes
>describing how to use the product far faster than the TW can even start the
>outline. Sooner or later, managers will figure this out and start wondering
>if they need Technical Writers.
>
>The alternative appears to be to increase our technical skills. It does
>not look like Netscape or Microsoft are going to provide us solutions. We
>need to provide our own.

And Dogbert (Oh, sorry, Mike Huber) added:

>>I don't author documents, I architect information product systems in the
>>context of instantiating a quality paradigm to carry forward the vision
>>expressed in the mission statement.
>>

>>Mike Huber
>>mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com

My web page useta say something about the 'Net being about ignoring your
job description (back when mission statements were new and cool), now I
wonder if maybe it shouldn't say something about "keeping your customers
from blowing themselves up while wading thru the mission statement before
they can get to the emergency shutdown procedures...." <smirk>

Every techwriter/info developer should hafta go thru restarting the backup
generator in the rain (under fire), use a third-party formatting utility to
resurrect their hard drive when the driver partition corrupts the Finder,
and/or translate a Subjunctive Parable Routine from Cobol into a set of
Java classes; then imagine their moms trying to do the same things:
user-advocacy from real-life experience <smirk>.

[Geez, dan, that sounds really pedantic]

<cringe>

Dan Brinegar Information Developer/Research Droid/Mac Guy
http://vr2link.com <-- under construction

Opinions expressed could very well be inline with what
Vr2Link thinks; because a company can't think, only the people in it,
and I am 1/3 of them <smile>.

djb -at- vr2link -dot- com -- CCDB Vr2Link
Performance S u p p o r t Svcs.