Re: Avoiding Disaster

Subject: Re: Avoiding Disaster
From: Geoff Lane <geoff -at- GJCTECH -dot- FORCE9 -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 16:49:58 +0100

Chris Hamilton wrote:
| All foreseeable eventualities is a pretty heavy burden if you have
| anything remotely complex (which we do). Is there a web site someplace
| that has the code (as in legal code, not computer code) that specifies
| these things?

I don't know of a web site but you could start with The EEC Machinery
Directive (89/392/EEC), as amended, paragraph 1.7.4. In addition to
explicitly including "foreseeable misuse", this places a whole heap of
legal requirements with respect to instructions. If there's enough
interest I'll post a precis of this to the list.

| As for the poodle story, I think it's an urban legend.

Me too. However, it was the most colourful example I could think of and it
has been used at various EEC Directive seminars I've attended.

Geoff Lane
GJC Technical Ltd.
mailto:geoff -at- gjctech -dot- force9 -dot- net