Finding the career niche

Subject: Finding the career niche
From: Bill Brucksch <bbruck -at- HALCYON -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 09:21:13 -0700

Hello out there in techwr-l land. My name is Bill Brucksch and I'm trying
to decide where to focus my career efforts. After successfully changing
careers three years ago and becoming a technical writer, I've been working
as a contractor, writing technical nmarketing materials, especially case
studies. But where do I go from here?

My goal is to work from home 90% of the time, either through a contract
agency or totally independently. So my question is this: where's the best
niche for my efforts? Should I continue writing case studies, create a Web
site that specializes in case studies, and market myself to different
industries? Or should I go the indexing route (they seem to work
independently), or maybe even instructional design (I have a background in
education/psychology)?

My thinking is that there is a need for people who write case studies, but
I don't have a clear enough picture of the marketplace. I have no objection
to getting additional training if that's appropriate, and I'm in a position
where I can do that.

I welcome all input and would be glad to summarize the responses I receive
for the list. In addition, anyone who's interested in learning how to
change careers, I'd be glad to share what I've learned.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Brucksch