What we're called

Subject: What we're called
From: Steve Myers <RSC!RSC!stevem -at- SCC -dot- ATTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 14:23:00 +0000

I've been lurking for a little while and decided it's about time I shared
a little bit.

The company I work for (a software company) calls its technical writers -
"Product Authors." Now, I know that this may not be a much recognized
term, but at our company we function as more than technical writers. In
fact, our job requires us to be a part of every piece of product
literature that is produced for the products we're assigned to. This
means we get involved in the review and creation of everything from
requirements and definition documents to marcomm feature specs. This
makes for some interesting times, since just documenting product
functionality can keep us hopping. But the challenge of being part of
all these pieces of product literature makes for an interesting day.
Plus it ensures that all documentation sends the same message.

Fortunately for us, we don't have the problems of some of the writers
expressed on the list, we are included in all meetings related to product
development, so we rarely if ever, have to try and guess what changes are
being made to the software.

Steve Myers
Product Author
ShowCase Corporation