Re: Newbie question

Subject: Re: Newbie question
From: Martha Ridge-Breil <mbreil -at- LYCOS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 12:27:24 -0400

Question:
>>The way I see it, there are a few different directions I could take. (But
>>I probably haven't thought of everything).
>>program 2 hours away.
__________________
Reply:
education is important to a point. A degree in journalism should teach you
the essential elements necessary to be a good technical writer because the
writing styles are similar. From a practical standpoint, you increase your
marketability more by taking courses in programming, software development,
and technical writing than by completing a degree in technical writing.
Nearly all job postings I've seen ask for a degree in technical writing,
journalism, English?with some programming experience, (check the archives
for the thread on the value of programming courses for TWs).

I'm not demeaning the value of a technical writing degree, but it's not
necessary to succeed and excel in the field of computer documentation. If
you want to write for other disciplines, I'd say it's probable more
relevant / crucial. I'm not pretending to be a eclectic technical writer;
I write computer documentation for software/hardware, which is a pretty
wide range since we're definitely in the technology age. I couldn't work
in other fields such as the "hard" sciences.

As for my background: I have two BAs: English and psychology, a MA in
English, and certification to teach on the secondary level. I changed
careers to technical writing three years ago. Before I made the change I
visited the public library and borrowed a few text books on technical
writing. They were very helpful and broadened my knowledge of what
technical writing encompasses. I've also completed courses in programming
in C and C++. I'm definitely pro education, but I've found it more helpful
to do so in a non-matriculating fashion.

>>2. Stay where I am, gather some experience and a large variety of
>>material of questionable quality for a portfolio. I'm the closest thing
>>to a tech writer at my company, so I could probably churn out some pretty
>>awful stuff and they'd love me just to have anything.

Until a better opportunity presents itself...while pursuing your following
plan (#3).

>>3. Find a position as a junior tech writer at a company that has an
>>experienced/established documentation department where I could "learn the
>>ropes."

Great idea!

I hope this helps! Good luck; technical writing is fun, and it's great to
be in demand professionally.

Martha Breil
Sr. Technical Writer
www.lycos.com