Re: State Laws?

Subject: Re: State Laws?
From: Jeanette Feldhousen <jeanette_feldhousen -at- MENTORG -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 16:01:52 -0700

On Jun 3, 6:46pm, Tom Brown wrote:
> Subject: Re: State Laws?
> >State Laws preclude anyone without state certification for
> professional engineering to use the title engineer.
> >

> In a previous life I worked for IBM as a *customer engineer* and
> later, doing the same job, as a *field engineer*. There was no
> state certification involved. And I think that IBM would have been
> careful to avoid violating any state laws.

Speaking as a degreed (but not certified) electrical engineer, my
impression is that there is no need in the high tech industry to get
professional engineering certification. None of the electrical,
mechanical, or software engineers I've worked with have been certified,
and none have hesitated to have the word "engineer" in their title.
I know that in other engineering fields, for example civil engineering,
it is a requirement to get professional certification.

I remember hearing a few years ago that a woman had started a housekeeping
company with a title like "Domestic Engineers," and the professional
engineering certification organization sued her to make her change the
name. I think that she lost the suit. However, I doubt that they're
going to go after the many thousands of people working with a job title
of "engineer" without certification.

--Jeanette

--
Jeanette Feldhousen jeanette_feldhousen -at- mentorg -dot- com
Mentor Graphics Corporation