The newbie file

Subject: The newbie file
From: Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 08:49:01 EST

On Tue, 3 Jun 1997, Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU> wrote:

<snip>
> 5. Someone on the list maintains a "newbie file", which I hear is very
useful. I forget who wrote it (Candace Bamber?) but I'm sure you'll
find references to it in the archives for the last few weeks.

I maintain a newbie file. (Could be that others do, too.) Every
now and then I mention it on the list. I've sent it out about
100 times.

The newbie file is just 53K worth of messages on this subject,
stuck together. Organization and synthesis have been left to
the reader.

I've put a fair amount of energy into this file, so I will send
it to a requester on two conditions:

1. The requester must give me some feedback on the file so that
I can make it better.

2. The requester must write back in six months so that I can
hear how things are going with him or her. This will be fun
for me and will also help me edit the file to address people's
situations.

Anybody who still wants it, even after hearing these onerous
conditions :-D, should write to me and ask for c:\ark\alice.

|| * \ . . / * || * Melissa Hunter-Kilmer (mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com) *
\\____\X/____// * Bureau of National Affairs (NOT the gov't!) *
/ * /O\ * \ * Washington, DC *

BNA and I have a deal -- I don't speak for the company, and
it doesn't speak for me.