Re: indexing jokes?

Subject: Re: indexing jokes?
From: "Wayne J. Douglass" <wayned -at- VERITY -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 09:55:12 -0700

At 08:08 PM 6/4/97 -0400, Deborah Shaw wrote:

> These references appear in the index to the 3rd edition (1963)
> of Gordon Carey's _Making an Index_.
>
> Chase, wild goose. _See_ Von Kluck
> Goose chase, wild. _See_ Kluck, Von
> Kluck, von. _See_ Von Kluck
> Von Kluck. _See_ Kluck, von
> Wild goose chase. _See_ Kluck, von
>
>When I put a joke in my first index, I told the editors that one existed.
>One of the editors found it, the other didn't. The joke was published with
>the index.

I may have sent this out before, but there's a similar joke in Vladimir
Nabokov's novel _Pale Fire_, which is in the form of a 999 line poem with
scholarly apparatus and an index. If you look up "word golf," you are sent
along a similar series of _See_ references until you end up at "word golf"
again.

--Wayne Douglass