Re: Shortcut vs. Accelerator keys

Subject: Re: Shortcut vs. Accelerator keys
From: Floramaria Deter <fmc -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 10:24:58 -0700

According to the MS Manual of Style Guide:

accelerator key
Avoid; use shortcut key instead in all documentation. The term refers
to a keyboard key or key combination that invokes a particular
command, such as CTRL+N or CTRL+S. Reserve accelerator key for
technical discussions about programming the keys, and only where
necessary to preserve consistency with the interface or past
documentation.

shortcut key
Refers to a keyboard key or key combination that invokes a particular
command such as CTRL+N or CTRL+S. Use this term in all documentation,
including technical documentation in which you are referring to the
interface. In discussions about programming the keys, you can use
accelerator key.
If you need to specify the term, use the singular form when only one
key is required: "Press the shortcut key F1 for Help." Otherwise, use
the plural: "Press the shortcut keys CTRL+N to open a new file." But
in general avoid the term, using the key name or key combination only:
"Press F1 for Help."

I hope this helps!

Flora :)

--